Welcome To Sunday Scripture Study for Catholics!
This site is designed for those Catholics who are being led to delve into God’s Word, but don’t have the foggiest idea on where to start. As this site develops, we will be trying to provide answers to the questions most commonly asked by fellow Catholics: Where do I start (right here!)? What does the Church teach about the Scriptures and Scripture reading (lots!)? What’s the best Bible to use (a Catholic one, of course!)? Can Catholic beliefs be defended biblically (is the Pope Catholic?!)? Of course, you’ll find more in-depth answers than these in this site, but you’ll find that out as you navigate around.
First, however, a few disclaimers, provisos, and quid pro quos:
- I do not claim to be a biblical scholar (or a scholar of any kind, for that matter). This site just includes some basic material and insight that I have gained in almost 20 years of reading the Bible and preparing and leading Bible study and adult catechesis. This site is here to set on the path those who want to make a good beginning.
- All links provided on this site, to the best of my knowledge, reflect orthodox Catholic teaching faithful to the Magisterium of the Church. By providing a link I in no way imply that I (and more importantly the Church) agree with everything you might find on the rest of that site, or any links it in turn provides.
- If you are a non-Catholic visiting this site: Welcome! Hopefully you will learn something you didn't know about how the Catholic Church approaches Scripture. If you know any Catholics interested in learning more about the Bible, please direct them here.
- This site is not intended to be the final word in your progress in learning to know God better through studying and meditating on his Word in the light of the teachings of the Church. I fully hope and expect you to grow and move on to bigger and better things. The mission of this site is that no Catholic can ever say, “No one in the Church ever encouraged me to read the Bible!” You now have no excuse!
- Current Study
- Previous & Upcoming Studies
- The Catholic Church on Reading the Scriptures
- Catholic Scripture Resources
- Scripture Study Links
- Getting Started
- How To Use This Study With Small Groups
- Studies for Lent and Advent
- Footprints of God Scripture Study Resources
Read God's Book continually; never let the sacred volume be out of your hand. Learn, so that you may teach.
- St. Jerome